Agriculture....

"Agriculture is the Backbone of our Nation"

Friday 11 May 2012

Farm Situation

By Ras Benaiah
With the current rains, we have experienced a challenge whereby our compost which was in the process of making has been submerged, especially due to the rise of the water table besides the run-off water which has flooded the pit. Thus, we have learnt that the best time to compost is during the dry months of the year when the water level is relatively down in our farm.
 
Staggered Planting

For a farmer, merely waiting for the rains to come in order to sow the seeds can be quite limiting on both his potential and that of his farm. At the Shiriki farm, therefore, we have learnt to practice staggered planting. This entails continuous planting and thus continuous harvesting throughout the season. This approach has a great and positive impact towards maintaining food sustainability across the season. For example, at the moment we have three generations of corn growing in our farm – one generation is at the weeding stage, another is flowering while the oldest is anticipated to be nourishing in a fortnight.
Corn; soon to be sustaining.
A plot with maize at flowering stage.

The 3rd generation of corn at the farm, currently at the weeding stage.

          Mountain Livity is a Renewal
My recent sojourn at the farm, I can testify, was of great strength mentally, physically and spiritually. The impact of this strength can best be measured in terms of the fruitful activities undertaken. One accomplishment that I experienced is the successful making of charcoal balls to be used in the stove. 
Airing the charcoal balls I made.

At Maragua, source of fuel is a problem. In the locality, it’s hard to find natural forests where we can gather firewood. We neither have grownup trees that can be lopped to get firewood and therefore we have relying on charcoal which has to be sourced from sometimes as far as Kitui in Eastern Kenya.
But through the inspiration of one young farmer, by the name Marubu, and of course due to the pressing need of fuel, from our store I took out some charcoal dust which normally remains after using the larger pieces of charcoal, then some soil and a little sawdust. In a ratio of about 1:1 I mixed the dust, the soil and the little sawdust adding water to form a mass of hard clay. It’s from the mass of clay that I rolled small lumps which I then aired in the sun for three days to completely dry.
Though I left the farm before testing my products, I would later feel a great sense of satisfaction when Ras Rukundo, a loyal soldier at the farm, called me to thank me for the positive results of my endeavor. Through this, I realized my great potential - which also lies with any other youth - in bringing a change in my community. Nevertheless, we are still in the pursuit of alternative sources of energy which are safe to humans and nature in general.

InI I-nspiration
All the volunteers at Shiriki Organization are here on plain voluntary basis, and with the nature of our work it calls for patience, perseverance and even tolerance towards one another within and without the organization. Well, these virtues only stand where a solid spiritual foundation has been established. To strengthen the spirituality amongst our volunteers, every early light the program starts with sharing inspiring scriptures from two main sources – first we chant a Psalm of our great patriarch King David and second we seek the Divine guidance of our Lord and King Qedamawi Haile Selassie, who is the Chief Commander of our day-to-day activities, from His numerous holistic speeches.
“I’m happy to share with the universal community that I&I get inspiration from HIM, Haile Selassie I, who is the Almighty JAH HIMself, who gives I&I the knowledge, the overstanding and the will to work selflessly for the benefit and the common good of all people. That is I&I greatest I-spiration,” says Ras Githaka Karuri, a volunteer. 


I-vine teachings; the 'Now Testament'

Artiste's illustration of Psalm 65
To ensure mutual upliftment of this spiritual strength, we normally have these scriptures move from one bredren to another, each one reading aloud. Quite significantly, in my recent visit, I had the honor to chant Psalm 65, in this rainy season, “… 9thou [JAH] visitest the earth and waterest it; thou greatly enrichest it with the river of JAH, which is full of water: thou preparest the corn, when thou has so provided for it…” refer to your Bible and read on for yourself. What an inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers